Kevan Brooks Limited Funeral Directors

Kevan Brooks Ltd, is an independent funeral directors based in Boyatt Wood. We are happy to serve the local community and surrounding areas.  Our Funeral Director, Kevan Brooks,  joined the funeral profession in 1983 and qualified with a Diploma in Funeral Directing from the National Association of Funeral Directors and passed the Royal Institute for Public Health for the funeral service with honours in 1986. Kevan has, many years of experience in all aspects of the funeral profession and was the Chairman of the Southampton Branch of the National Association of Funeral Directors in 1990

Kevan Brooks

Support and Guidance

We are committed to the providing the highest professional service to you at your time of need. We will make the procedure of coping with the loss of a loved one as stress free as possible.

From the first phone call, to the day of the funeral and beyond, we will help you, your family and friends with all the arrangements to ensure that your chosen funeral is a truly special send off for your loved one. Everyone is unique, there is no such thing as a normal funeral – no two funerals are alike.

We provide a 24 hour service, everyday of the year, so whatever time of the day or night there will always be someone at the end of the phone to answer any questions you may have. 

What to do when someone dies

When someone dies. It is usual for people to be unsure of what to do in the immediate aftermath of a bereavement. I will take you through the initial steps and provide advice on other things you may need to think about when someone you know dies.

If the person dies at home

The first thing you should do is contact your GP, depending on the time of the death, your GP will either help you or you will be directed to the out of hours service in your area and in some cases, the ambulance service.

In any event a doctor will come to your house to formally confirm the death. If the deceased did not have a GP then you should contact the out of hours doctor service or the ambulance service and as a last resort, the police. Where the cause of death is obvious and expected, the person’s usual GP should be able to issue a medical certificate of cause of death (often referred to as the death certificate).

The death certificate will be issued and placed in a sealed envelope addressed to the Registrar of births, deaths, and marriages free of charge. You will then receive a formal notice which confirms that the doctor has signed the death certificate and gives details about registering a death. If you or the deceased decides the body will be cremated the doctor must also complete a form called the cremation certificate.

If the person dies in a hospital or nursing home

If the death was expected and has been confirmed by a doctor or a suitably trained member of the nursing team, arrangements will be made to issue the medical certificate of death. It is then your responsibility to collect the certificate along with any belongings that have been left. The hospital will usually arrange for you to visit the bereavement officer who will supply you with the cause of death certificate and in some cases a hospital release form which will need to be signed and given to the funeral director so the deceased may be released into their care.

If a person dies suddenly or unexpectedly

The death must be reported to a coroner if it occurs suddenly, unexpectedly or was not due to natural causes. The coroner’s officer (usually uniformed police officer) will visit as soon as possible, record all, of the relevant details and report them to the coroner. The body will be taken to a hospital mortuary designated by the coroner.

It is then the coroner’s decision to decide whether a post-mortem examination or an inquest should be arranged.

Registering a death

A person’s death should be registered within five days. In most cases, you can register the death anywhere in Hampshire except for deaths occurring in Southampton and Portsmouth where they must be registered in those areas, this will prevent any delays in relevant paperwork and funeral arrangements. All the registry offices in our local area require you to make an appointment to see the registrar. contact Registrars Diary line 0300 555 1392.

In most cases relatives of the deceased are the ones who will register the death, however in the event of no family friends of the deceased will be allowed

Checklist of documents

  • the medical certificate that has been issued by the GP (the Coroner will normally send this directly to the registrar)
  • If available, you should also take the deceased’s birth certificate, their NHS medical card and their marriage or civil partnership certificate, if applicable.
  • You will need the date and place of death, the deceased’s full name at the time of death and any previous names including maiden surname, date and place of birth, last address, occupation, and benefits circumstances.
  • The personal details for a living spouse or civil partner.

Documents you will receive

In most cases the registrar will issue:

A certificate for burial or cremation (often known as the Green Certificate) for you to give to the Funeral Director (if the Coroner is involved this is not always issued) and a certificate for Social Security Benefits for you to take or send to the local Benefits Agency, along with any pension, income support or other benefit books

There is no charge to register a death, only for certified copies of the death certificate, currently £ 10.00 each A copy of the certificate will be required to administer the estate and many companies now insist on certified copies instead of photocopies. If there are several companies that you wish to deal with at the same time, to speed up the administration of the estate you may wish to have several certified copies. You can always request additional copies later; they may however be more expensive.

At the end of the death registration appointment the Registrar will give you a unique reference to access the Tell Us Once Service online or by telephone.


Tell Us Once

is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.When you   the registrar will:

  • let you know if the service is available in your area
  • give you the phone number
  • give you a unique reference number to use the Tell Us Once service online or by phone

After you register the death, you must use the service within 84 days.

Before you use Tell Us Once

You will need the following details of the person who died:

  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • vehicle registration number
  • passport number

You will also need:

  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting – for example State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting – for example Blue Badge
  • name, address, telephone number and the National Insurance number or date of birth of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • name and address of their next of kin – if there is no surviving spouse or civil partner or their spouse or civil partner is not able to deal with their affairs
  • name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings, and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to

You need permission from any surviving spouse or civil partner, the next of kin, executor, administrator, or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who died before you give their details.

Organisations Tell Us Once will contact

Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – to cancel benefits and entitlements, for example Universal Credit or State Pension
  • Passport Office – to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) – to cancel a licence and remove the person as the keeper of up to 5 vehicles (contact DVLA separately if you keep or sell a vehicle)
  • the local council – to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support), a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
  • Veterans UK – to cancel Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact you about the tax, benefits and entitlements of the person who died.

Tell Us Once will also contact some public sector pension schemes so that they cancel future pension payments. They will notify:

  • My Civil Service Pension
  • NHS Pension Scheme
  • Armed Forces Pension Scheme
  • pension schemes for NHS staff, teachers, police, and firefighters in Scotland
  • local authority pension schemes that participate in Tell Us Once

There’s a different process to update property records if the person who died owns land or property.

Banks and other financial organisations

Contact the person’s bank or mortgage, pension, or insurance providers to close or change the details of their accounts.

Home and Car Insurance

Remember to contact the deceased’s home and car insurance providers especially if there is a surviving relative still present in the same address.

When a death is reported to a coroner

A doctor may report the death to a coroner if the:

  • cause of death is unknown
  • death was violent or unnatural
  • death was sudden and unexplained
  • person who died was not visited by a medical practitioner during their final illness
  • medical certificate is not available
  • person who died was not seen by the doctor who signed the medical certificate within 14 days before death or after they died
  • death occurred during an operation or before the person came out of anaesthetic
  • medical certificate suggests the death may have been caused by an industrial disease or industrial poisoning

The coroner may decide that the cause of death is clear. In this case:

  1. The doctor signs a medical certificate.
  2. You take the medical certificate to the registrar.
  3. The coroner issues a certificate to the registrar stating a post-mortem is not needed.


The coroner may decide a post-mortem is needed to find out how the person died. This can be done either in a hospital or mortuary.

You cannot object to a coroner’s post-mortem – but if you have asked the coroner must tell you (and the person’s GP) when and where the examination will take place.

After the post-mortem

The coroner will release the body for a funeral once they have completed the post-mortem examinations and no further examinations are needed.

If the body is released with no inquest, the coroner will send a form to the registrar stating the cause of death.

The coroner will also send a ‘Certificate of Coroner – form Cremation 6’ if the body is to be cremated.

If the coroner decides to hold an inquest

A coroner must hold an inquest if the cause of death is still unknown, or if the person:

  • possibly died a violent or unnatural death
  • died in prison or police custody

You cannot register the death until after the inquest. The coroner is responsible for sending the relevant paperwork to the registrar.

The death cannot be registered until after the inquest, but the coroner can give you an interim death certificate to prove the person is dead. You can use this to let organisations know of the death and apply for probate.

When the inquest is over the coroner will tell the registrar what to put in the register.

Arranging a funeral

This is usually undertaken by the nearest surviving relative or executor of the deceased. The choice of whether burial or cremation may already have been discussed prior to the death occurring and we will endeavour to carry out any of the families wishes.

Once the decision has been made on either burial or cremation, we will advise you on the choices available to you. We have several crematoria in our locality, and you can decide which one you would like to use. There is however a lot of paperwork involved in each cremation so we would advise that you allow a minimum of 14 days between death and funeral. Burials may be quicker dependent on where your wish to be interred.  We will guide you through the process.


Traditionally a hearse and limousine were usually supplied for each funeral which we can accommodate. A limousine can seat up to 6 people which is usually enough for the main mourners. Both vehicles are available in black or silver. Although funerals have evolved over the years and families often request alternatives such as horse drawn and motorcycle hearses, etc, please feel free to request a quote for an alternative. We will endeavour to accommodate your wishes.



We have a number of crematoria in the area, all of which you have the opportunity to use notably

Southampton Crematorium

Wessex Vale Crematorium

Test Valley Crematorium

Charlton Park Crematorium

Portchester Crematorium


Basingstoke Crematorium

The Oaks Crematorium, Havant

All of which have, the capability to webcast services and utilise their digital media systems to play almost any track that has been officially released.


Kevan supported my family after the sudden and untimely death of my children's father. Kevan provided us with all the factual information that we needed and I knew - from the beginning - that he would take care of our loved one in a respectful and kindly manner. Organising a funeral is an incredibly stressful experience, but Kevan ensured that all our questions were answered and our requests met. Our family cannot thank him enough for his support at this most difficult time.
F Wallis

Contact us

02382 540600

(24 Hours)